THINGS TO DO
Tuesday, September 27 through Saturday, October 1
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Visit your museum! Galleries are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Thursday, September 29
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Free Family Program – Reading in the Galleries. How the Sphinx Got to the Museum, for families with children ages 4 to 10. Learn more. 2 p.m.
• Dance Program: Free dance master class for NC State students, staff and faculty. The Afro-Latin Flow Experience with María Monge. Learn more and register. Carmichael Dance Studio 2307. 5:45 p.m.
• NC State LIVE: Concert by Ranky Tanky with special guest Lisa Fischer. Learn more and get tickets. Stewart Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Pre-show talk with the artists at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 1
• University Theatre: QuickSCRIPTS 10-minute play fest. Given only a prompt and 24-hours total prep time, four writers, directors, and cast write, rehearse, and perform four 10-minute plays. Register for free tickets on Eventbrite. Kennedy-McIlwee Studio Theatre. 8 p.m.
CHECK. IT. OUT.
• The Corner opens this week on Centennial Campus, located at 941 Main Campus Drive. Fixed around a constellation of four repurposed shipping containers, the open-air space is designed for gathering, collaborating and socializing. Learn more.
• State of Sound Stories: Join the NC State University Libraries for the first event at the Corner, a live podcast taping with Mipso’s Libby Rodenbough, fiddler and singer with the bluegrass-indie-folk band Mipso. Tuesday, Sept. 27 at 12 p.m.
• University Activities Board hosts Talley Hour: Mug Designs. UAB invites you to create your own go-to mug. Talley 3222. Tuesday, Sept. 27, 1 to 3 p.m.
• It’s that time of the year when downtown Raleigh turns into the bluegrass capital of the world. Check out the IBMA World of Bluegrass festival taking place on Friday and Saturday.
IN THE NEWS
• Technician: NC State LIVE: 50 years of welcoming artists to campus. Technician writer Matthew Burkhart writes about the launch of the NC State LIVE 50th anniversary celebration.
• Technician: Students reflect on 50th anniversary of Talley Student Union, share possible improvements. Technician writer Esme Chiara interviews staff and students about the anniversary of NC State’s student union.
• Technician: NC State LIVE. Technician photographers Danielle Meyer, Jade Williamson and Xochilt Espinoza Jaen attended the NC State LIVE 50th anniversary kickoff block party with Squonk and student artists on September 19.
• Bluegrass Today: Bluegrass club launches at North Carolina State University. NC State student and banjo player John Lee has founded a student organization for bluegrass musicians.
• The News & Observer: Mark your calendars. Here are more than 55 things to do in the Triangle this fall. The NC State LIVE presentation of DakhaBrakha is featured.
See a two-month list of campus arts events and exhibitions, posted on the first day of each month.