THINGS TO DO
Tuesday, April 4 through Saturday, April 8
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Two spring exhibitions are now open, This Is Not: Aldwyth in Retrospect and True Likeness. Visit your museum! Galleries are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday, April 4
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Eco Film Series (day 1 of 3). The Human Element. 3 p.m.
• Department of Performing Arts and Technology: Jazz Ensemble Preview at Harris Field (outside Witherspoon), with a free, informal outdoor performance of music the jazz bands are preparing for their April concerts. Jazz Lab Band at 4:30 p.m., Jazz Orchestra at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, April 5
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Eco Film Series (day 2 of 3). RiverBlue. 3 p.m.
Thursday, April 6
• NC State LIVE: LIVE @ Lake Raleigh. Free outdoor concert by Orquesta GarDel. Food trucks at 5 p.m., concert at 6 p.m.
• Gregg Museum of Art & Design: Eco Film Series (day 3 of 3). 2040. 6 p.m.
• Department of Performing Arts and Technology: State Dance Company spring concert (day 1 of 2). 7 p.m. Stewart Theatre.
Friday, April 7
• Department of Performing Arts and Technology: State Dance Company spring concert (day 2 of 2). 7 p.m. Stewart Theatre.
• University Theatre: The Wright Way. What We Grew Up With by Kiran Soma, reading #3. 7 p.m. Kennedy-McIlwee Studio Theatre.
CHECK. IT. OUT.
• Aldo Mazza is an internationally recognized drummer, percussionist and recording artist. The guest for the latest episode of his Shaping Your Journey podcast is our own Rich Holly.
• Howling Success: Kiran Soma. The 2023 winner of the Creative Artist Award in theatre is featured in this DASA “Howling Success” story.
• Olga Kleiankina, teaching professor of piano at NC State, will be performing a guest artist recital in Moeser Auditorium in Hill Hall at UNC Chapel Hill. Monday, April 3 at 7:30 p.m. The performance is free, and no reservation is required.
• A few April crafts classes still have openings. Check the last chance list.
• Pan-Afrikan Week 2023 runs April 3-8. Check out the collection of events.
• Crafting + Connecting: Join the Women’s Center and the Counseling Center two Tuesdays a month for a communal healing space for students to make crafts and connect with peers. Tuesday, April 4, 10 a.m. to noon. Talley Student Union, room 5210.
• WKNC’s Local Lunch Live is back on Thursdays at the Corner on Centennial Campus, presented in partnership with Visit Centennial to showcase student performers. April 6, 12 to 1 p.m.
• Poetry reading and conversation with Brazilian poet Salgado Maranhão, presented by the Department of World Languages and Cultures. Thursday, April 6 at 4 p.m. in Withers 331.
• Poetry reading by Khalisa Rae. The Department of English presents award-winning author, activist and storyteller Khalisa Rae. As a queer rights advocate and community builder, she seeks to uplift Black queer voices. Thursday, April 6 at 7:30 p.m. in Caldwell Lounge.
• Cash awards for creatives: The Creative Artist Award recognizes original work in music, dance and theatre created by full-time NC State students. The deadline for dance and music submissions is Monday, April 17, 2023.
IN THE NEWS
• Technician: Muse. Student Media photographers Emily Peedin and Jermaine Hudson created an album of images from University Theatre’s production of Muse.
• Technician: International Festival showcases cultures, connects students. Technician writer Matthew Burkhart interviews arts intern Roné Roux in this recap of NC State’s International Festival on March 24.
• Carolina Arts: NC State University in Raleigh, NC, Features Works by Aldwyth. The current Gregg Museum exhibition, This Is Not: Aldwyth in Retrospect, is featured on page 33.
• Technician: NC Museum of Art fundraiser connects Wolfpack and greater Raleigh community. Technician writer Madison Ligh explores the recent Art in Bloom special event at NCMA.
• Technician: The Bell Tower Blues Band introduces campus to authentic blues. Technician writer Matthew Burkhart interviews members of a trio that got their start in the Arts Village.
See a two-month list of campus arts events and exhibitions, posted on the first day of each month.