Experiential Arts Resources: Online & In-person/Socially Distanced
The pandemic has made experiencing in-person art difficult, but it has not canceled the arts by any means. At Arts NC State, the faculty and staff in our programs have been busy creating artistic content for you to engage with safely. Whether it’s taking a dance class in your living room or attending a virtual play reading or drive-in concert, Arts NC State has you covered. For a quick introduction to our programs and to sign up for our emails, visit go.ncsu.edu/arts.
To view our Monday morning weekly digest of events, visit: https://arts.ncsu.edu/news/.
In addition to our programs, we are also including a list of local, North Carolina arts programs and select nationally recognized programs available to you online. Check back, as this list will be updated throughout the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters. Have suggestions for this page? Email manager of arts outreach & engagement, Amy Sawyers-Williams: email@example.com.
Highlights by art form:
* Indicates in-person, physically distanced event
Art & Craft Making Projects
NC State Collaboration:
- Energy Week Virtual Gallery: sign up to enter a virtual gallery for Energy Week Oct 20 and 23
NC State Crafts Center:
- Registration for fall virtual and in-person classes open now
- C:Lab: a new digital maker space for making, prototyping, and extending traditional media practices into commercial production.
- Family Fun Series!
- NC State Crafts Center launches a YouTube page with art making content
- NC State Crafts Center Craft Relief: online craft/visual art classes from our very own Craft Center
External Craft Offerings:
- Color Our Collections: libraries, archives, and other cultural institutions around the world are sharing free coloring sheets and books based on materials in their collections. Download, print, and share your favorites!
NC State Dance Program
- The Lunchbox Series: Virtual Discussions for Relevant Dance
- NC State Dance Program Online Master Classes: To keep you dancing during this time, please enjoy the following list of online classes.
- NC State Dance Program: Concert from Your Couch enjoy past repertory from previous seasons. Stay tuned for a new concert to be uploaded on 11/13 with new pieces from both companies and student choreographers!
External Dance Offerings:
- Carolina Ballet: Posting segments from past performances
- Contra Tiempo online community talks and Thursday classes (appeared with NC State LIVE fall ’19)
- Lucky Plush Virtual Dance Lab (part of NC State LIVE’s past seasons)
- Exquisite Corps, A dance-film: 42 American contemporary choreographers link together on a chain love letter to dance. And catch the sequel, “And So Say All of Us” at http://bit.ly/JoesFilm
- Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre Past Performances: We know you can’t see the Ailey dancers perform in a theater, so we wanted to make sure you can still find comfort and joy in the beauty of dance by virtually connecting with their performances. For a limited time, Ailey is thrilled to share videos of the Company performing on stage.
- Pilobolus YouTube Playlist: Curated videos from one of the world’s leading physical dance companies
NC State LIVE
- ACT LOCALLY: Residencies with NC artists rooted in social justice
- THINK GLOBALLY: Interactive digital events with performing artists across the world
- #PackPops: Local musicians pop up in performances across campus *
External Multidisciplinary Offerings:
- Artist Soapbox Podcast: Local artist and Piedmont Laureate Tamara Kissane’s podcast that celebrates local creatives and audio drama
- Creative Morning Talks: Local creatives give TED style talks
Museums & Visual Art
Gregg Museum of Art & Design
- Gregg Museum of Art & Design’s Virtual Tours
- Attend an exhibition at the Gregg Museum of Art & Design *
- The Gregg reopened with safety restrictions to the public September 23. Registration is required for timed entry
- Virtual Artist Talks & Programs
Arts NC State Student Art Sale Program
- The official sale will be April 16, 2021, but you can still browse and buy from student artists and recent alums by clicking here: https://arts.ncsu.edu/about/for-students/student-art-purchase/student-artist-websites
External Museum & Visual Art Offerings:
- First Friday Raleigh
- Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington, NC Online Exhibition: Structure in Space and Time – Photography of Phil Freelon
NC State LIVE
- NC State LIVE at the Lot: A Drive-in Concert Featuring Rissi Palmer on Friday, October 23, 2020 *
NC State Department of Music:
- NC State Department of Music YouTube Page
- Students from the NC State jazz program have been making recordings from home: https://soundcloud.com/user-230729728
- Brickyard Broadcast will premiere November 12, 2020 at 6pm ET and November 13, 2020 at 2pm ET. Details on how to access the premiere will be available at music.arts.ncsu.edu in October. Read more about the project here: https://music.arts.ncsu.edu/orchestras-and-choirs-prepare-new-music-for-virtual-brickyard-debut/
External Music Offerings:
The Next Festival of Emerging Artists: Videos from the 2020 Virtual Festival
- Strictly Speaking: Professional Theatre Artist Speaker Series
- Argo: A virtual voyage of Jason and the Argonauts online play reading
- How To Theatre: Weekly interactive lessons in various production techniques that work beyond the walls of the theater.
- Devised Theatre Project: Join Lormarev Jones as she introduces participating students to the conception of original work through ensemble devising.
- UT Revisited: Looking Back on Past Productions
- Out Loud: Script Readings and Discussions
- Preparing the Performer: Weekly lessons in techniques and skills for performers.
- The Institute: a shorthand name for NC State’s mysterious and hidden science department: The Institute for Temporal Observation and Alteration.
External Theatre Offerings:
- Thru November 1: A Hundred Words for Snow @ Burning Coal Theatre Company *