Contact Amy Sawyers-Williams, arts outreach & engagement, to set up a connection (e.g. offer extra credit for your students who attend a virtual workshop). firstname.lastname@example.org
Choreographer Chat: Feb 17 @ 5:30pm
Latin Social Dance Class: March 23 @ 6pm
About the Event
Join Eduardo Vilaro, artistic director of Ballet Hispánico, and members of this revered company to watch a piece of from their iconic repertory, Danzón. Part conversation, part performance, this interactive Happy Hour event will give you a taste of the company’s powerful work together with a conversation with choreographer, Eduardo Vilaro, moderated by NC State alumna Daniela Patino-Zabaleta.
Initially evolved from Haitian contradance, the Danzón has been called the official dance of Cuba. Eduardo Vilaro has taken this traditional and quintessentially Cuban dance form and reinvented it with contemporary language to construct a joyous celebration of music and movement.
NOTE: Please register by noon on February 17 (the day of the event). This event will take place via Zoom. If you do not have a Zoom account, please sign up for a free Zoom account in advance of the event.
NC State LIVE is strongly committed to making our programming accessible to people of all abilities. If you have an accommodation request, please email Liza Green, associate director at email@example.com.
- ANT 325 Andean South America
- ANT 395 Culture in Latin America
- COM 417 Advance Topics (Communication and Race)
- COM 392 International Crosscultural Communication
- FLS 340 Introduction to Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- FLS 341 Introduction to Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- FLS 412 Topics in the Culture of Latin America and the Caribbean
- HESD 264 Ballet I
- HI 216 Latin America Since 1827
NC State LIVE Presents Las Cafeteras Digital Block Party on Tuesday October 6 at 5:30pm.
Learn more and register to attend here: https://live.arts.ncsu.edu/las-cafeteras/
About the Block Party
Some of you may have gotten in on the action when Los Angeles-based band Las Cafeteras was here last fall with CONTRA-TIEMPO. This rocking group of Chicano artists and activists uses music as a vehicle to build bridges among different cultures and communities to create ‘a world where many worlds fit.’ We hope you’ll join us in your Zoom video blocks for a “Block Party” with Las Cafeteras as they create joyous music and inspiring conversation – and maybe even get you up and dancing.
Our Block Party with Las Cafeteras is presented as part of Latinx Heritage Month in partnership with NC State’s Multicultural Student Affairs.
- FLS 353 Literature and Culture of Latin American III
- FLS 412 Topics in the Culture of Latin American and the Caribean
- SOC 203 Current Social Problems
- SOC 220 Cultural Geography
- ED 501 Students Advocating for Youth 1
- ED 508 Exploring Diversity in Classroom and Community
- HON 360 Music and Oppression
- HON 293 Music and Social Life
- HON 299 Popuar Songs and Communication
- PSY 311 Social Psychology
- PSY 360 Community Psychology Principles and Practice
- AFS 305 Racial and Ethnic Relations